01 September 2017

On playing games


To the question of why do I play games ? I'll reply that they offer nice challenges for my brain, which is very important for at least two reasons. 

The First  is, that I experience memory loss, which is the result of several causes, and thus to play games, helps my brain to find new things through the research of solutions to the challenges pauses in each game. 

The second is that I suffer from mental illnesses, and thus playing games not only entertains but also distracts me from them.


Social board games are great ways to socialize and play with family, or in my preference, friends. 

For any person, though, playing games can be a good outlet and stimulation for the brain, an exercise for eye and hand coordination which helps our reflexes. 

In some games, I do only that. In others, I can let go of my normal self and go on nonsensical rampages, whilst my normal state and nature is a very peaceful one. But, I don't play ultra-violent bloody games... I think this is as good a moment to answer, what types do I play ? 

I play word games, such as scrabble, both in person and on facebook's app, or other board games and also video games on PC or console (fighting, tennis, adventure, RPG...)

There are also dangers in gaming. On  the one hand, I have an obsessive personality, so I can sometimes pass far too long to try to solve a quest or win a level - seldom giving up on games, but it has happened.

The other issue for me, is that if my depression hits a severe low and I play, I may do that also for far too many hours at a time... It's less the case now than some years ago, when depressive episodes were so massive that I'd sometimes spend the night playing, to the detriment of my daily activities. I learnt to detect the warning signs and thus have became more able to avoid such long sessions, which is great.

As with any person playing games, I need to have a good balance between those I play alone, and those with others. Indeed, there have been studies to show that one can become addicted to games just as much as with alcohol, drugs or anything else for that matter ; and some people can also become quite antisocial and withdrawn in this respect. It is therefore imperative to avoid letting this hobby becoming a problem. 

I see no issue whatever, as long as we balance our gaming time with socializing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment