04 September 2017

Game - Checkers



Checkers, also called English draughts is a board game that my grand father had thought me to play and would enjoy to show me the endgames he'd invented each time I'd visit him during school holidays.





The board can be made from several materials : wood, paper, cardboard...
The squares can be white and green or white and black, or red and black... and I guess in any other duo that companies may choose.

Similarly, the pieces can have probably almost any dual colors, but the usual for me were white and black, and were made from wood, but can be found in plastic as well.

Each player starts with 12 pieces ; the one with the darker color starts the game.

The moves can be simple: one square to an empty adjacent diagonally, until the piece reaches the opposite side and can be crowned. After that point, the ''crowned pieces'', now called kings, can move in any diagonal direction (forward and backward).

It's possible for a player to jump over the opponent's piece to the following square. In this case, the opponent's piece is ''eaten'' and removed from the game (and kept aside for crowned pieces later).

Multiple jumps are also possible, as long as there are opponent's pieces in the subsequent diagonal squares which enable the jumps.

The goals are clear:  crown one's pions, eat the adversary pieces and remain at least with one piece; or block the opponent's from any allowed move, thus ending the game.

My grandfather loved playing checkers for many hours and invented endgames which he'd detail in notebooks and show me his progress.

Over the years, I lost my hand on the game, and seldom got to play it with anyone, but I have fond memories of it and still own a game box which include a checker board and pieces...
Maybe one day I'll resume playing it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment