18 October 2017

Console - PS3

It took me several years until I decided to get the PS3, after having exhausted my PS2 from over-use as a game console as well as DVD player. 

By this time, I had already improved my set-up with a DVD and later BD players ; I never used the PS3 for anything else than gaming, as I wish to keep its laser lens functional.

The original version of the PS3 was released in 2006 ; with a slim edition in 2009 and super slim in 2012, in varying colors (black, silver, and in my case, blue), and storage capacity, from 12 to 500 GB. I chose the 500GB version, which I deemed at the time the cheapest easiest way to get the fullest capacity. If you bought a smaller model, you can follow tutorials on how to open and replace with a hard drive on youtube

Indeed, Sony got rid of the memory card system which was clunky and whereas you often needed one card to keep inside each of your game boxes, you now store all game data straight in the included hard drive.

This helps to gain loading times, and centralizes all your game data into one spot : the hard drive. 

Some of the models were back-compatible with PS2 games (namely the 20, 60 and some of the CECHExx 80 GB models), and all models are officially back-compatible with PSone games. I haven't tried, but I assume that you need to use the gamepd to usb adaptor such as this one - which I use with the PS2 controller as a secondary controller for PS3 games (and I don't care about the ps3 vibration system which doesn't work with a ps2 controller). 

PS3 games tend to have a vastly superior image quality than that of PS2, and there are currently 1438 games on the catalogue


You can hook the PS3 to a TV or computer screen either with the same kind of cable as the PS2 had, or with an HDMi cable. I didn't use the one provided in the box, but a higher quality shielded one. 





I also use this 3M long USB to mini-usb cable when I need to charge the game controller, as the biggest innovation in this console was a wireless controller (in comparison to PS2 & 1, that is). 


The good news is that the battery in the controller holds quite a long time, even with daily gaming, I don't charge it often, AND if needed, that extra long cable allows me to charge and play, whilst still sitting on my sofa!  (the provided cable is quite a lot shorter).

Another innovation on this console is the ETHERNET plug, which I plug an RJ45 cable into and can play online, whenever there are opponents.

However, as I haven't gotten the webcam, nor headphones, nor motion camera/controller, I don't chat or do cooperative games where I'd need to hear my partner's voice and coordinate attacks/hits ; nor do I play motion-games, evidently.

If any computer headphone (with a mic) works, I would opt for that. 





On a console, you can have multiple names of family members, which multiplies data files, but allows several players to have different set-ups for the same game (for instance), or, if you have children, you can use that also to limit what they can do with it all. 

Sony also implemented a registration system, which also carries onto PS4. Their explanation

As I cannot ever cover all that the PS3 does, here are links : 
About the console on wiki & also on Sony's official page 




No comments:

Post a Comment